The Shirodhara technique soothes and invigorates the senses and the mind. A total feeling of wellness, mental clarity and comprehension is experienced in this process. Shirodhara means the dripping of oil like a thread (dhara) on the head (shiro). This is a tantalizing yet tranquil form of Ayurvedic oil treatment.
The client lies on a specially designed table. A wide mouthed vessel with a small hole at the bottom is hung above the head of the client, so that the wick hanging from the vessel is about two inches above the forehead. The special medicinal oil, milk, or buttermilk, etc, that is poured into the vessel is made to flow in a continuous stream through the wick on to the upper part of the forehead. The eyes are protected with cotton pads to prevent oil from dripping into them. The warm oil or other medium used, is collected, re-circulated, and the process continues for 60 to 90 minutes depending on the Dosha. On completion of the flow of oil, the client is allowed to rest for a few minutes, before the residual oil is wiped from the hair. The client can then dress and go home and it is recommended to rest quietly for at least a few hours.
Duration; 45min -1hr.
Premature graying of hairs
- Infirmity and emaciation
- Lack of vitality
- Pricking pains of palms and soles
- Diabetic neuropathy
- ENT diseases
- Alleviate Vata, pitta, kapha
- Improving the power of all sense organs
- Mesmerizing and tantalizing effects
- Treatment of several diseases connected with the head, neck, eyes, ears, nose, throat
- Helpful against insomnia
- For nervous disorders and dispositions
- Relieves head ache and Reduces shoulder and neck pains
- Coupled with head massage, it inhibits falling of hair
- Prevention of premature graying of hair