The knee joint is called Janu Sandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu Basthi is given to the procedure done on knee joints. In this the knee joint is bathed with warm medicated oil or freshly prepared herbal decoction. Depending on the condition it can be practiced over both the knee joints or on one knee joint. Knee joints are considered as sandhi Marma in Ayurveda (joint type of vital areas) which measure about three fingers (three anguli pramana).So the janu vasti is specialized knee therapy or massage which rejuvenate the janu marma.
Duration of treatment: 30 minutes
- Pacifies aggravated Vata dosha in the knee region
- Restores the lubricating fluid in the joint and maintain integrity of the structures involved in the joint.
- Removes stiffness and pain in Knee joint
- Protects knee joints from age related changes
- Increases blood circulation; thus strengthens and nourishes the knee joints
- Improves the mobility of the knee joints (knee flexion and knee extension)
It is indicated in the following conditions:
- Osteoarthritis of knee joints
- Arthrosis of knee joints
- Chronic pain of the knee joint